Pages

Monday 14 April 2014

Using Commas and "SPEECH " Marks

COMMAS

Comma - a pause

Use commas:

  • After and before direct speech.

“Help,” called out Serena. Joe said, “Get lost.”

  • To separate items in a list.

Ice cream, peaches, raspberries and strawberries.

  • To show a pause in a sentence with two  closely related ideas.

The dog loved chasing balls, running after them until it was tired.

Activity
Add commas where needed to the following sentences.

1. Mark had chocolate milk, ham sandwiches, crunchie bars, a pie and ice cream for lunch.

2. “ I’m sure I won’t get fat , ’’ he told his mum.

3. Dan was a great rugby player , and a good sport.

4. Kyana loved practising her poi skills , carrying her poi with her constantly.

5. “ Sione ,  “  said his mother  “Go and help your father with the dishes.”

6. I love to go to the beach , and collect shells.

7. My favourite foods are chocolate  ice cream ,  salt and vinegar chips , and chocolate mousse.



SPEECH MARKS

Put speech marks in the following sentences where needed.

1. “Isara,” come and help me, Sina said.

2. Cruz walked into the classroom and called out to his mate, “Can I borrow a pencil? ”

3. “The Mystics are going to win,” said Mrs Nua.

4. In the novel The Great Gatenby, by John Marsden, the main character Erle Gatenby says, “ “ “I’m cooler than a naked polar bear.”

5. “Get that dog away from me,” yelled Casey.  “It’s going to bite me!”

6. “I like the seaside - I grew up there, “

No comments:

Post a Comment